Tuesday, May 11, 2010

More Cuenca Insights 5/8/10 thru 5/11/10

5/8/10

I decided this morning that I need to make my camera a required addition to my everyday wardrobe. It seems that I always come across something of interest when walking around Cuenca… even if I’m just walking aimlessly as I sometimes you do.

Now that I shared the above…vitally important information with you…here’s the rest of the story J

This being Saturday and also the day before “Dia de la Madre” (Mother’s Day)…which by the way I was informed…Mom’s Day is “The Biggest Holiday” in Cuenca if not all of Ecuador!

That being the case then…tomorrow I will hole’ up in my apartment as…from what I’ve been told…”everybody” takes Mom out to a resturante! I think I’ll take a pass this time as my mom is in the states.

To envision the above…multiply the restaurant crowds in the states during Mother’s Day and multiply that by a factor of 2 or 3 fold. No Gracias! Like I said before…I think I’ll “vegetate”!

With-in the same thought pattern as above. This being Saturday and I have no plans what-so-ever…I think I will pre-start “Dia de la Madre” by one day early. Now I know this may sound real exciting to you all…but (now hold on to your seats) I plan on studying my Espanol…doing a wash…reading (for a change)…watching a DVD and playing around on the ol’ computer…Oh and the BIGGY…learning the ins ‘n outs of my new GOOGLE BLOG…which will allow me to present a (I hope) more professional BLOG to you all. Now if that isn’t enough…I don’t know what is LOL!

5/9/10 (Mother’s Day)

True to my word I was a “hermit” today and with exception of literally poking my head outside to “sniff the air”….well that was the extent of my leaving my home. I did basically what I mentioned in yesterdays enlightening information…which was except for cooking a nice breakfast for myself…doing the laundry…studying some espanol…of course checking and writing e-mails and perusing the computer…well that was about it. Oh yes...can’t forget about preparing dinner out of a box LOL . And with that…my exciting weekend comes to a close.

Manana I will do something but…as yet unsure. I do plan on treating myself to a nice breakfast at one of the "Geared to Gringo" type restaurants. Yes…it’ll cost abit more but worth it. I’m just not sure as to which one I’ll go to. The problem is that many of the restaurants that are normally closed on Sunday were open today for Dia de la Madre. So that may cause them to be closed manana (Monday). Well…I’m sure I will find something of consequence that will satisfy my culinary urges J.

To be sure I will keep you informed. Oh that reminds me…I need to takee my camera with me.

Until then amigos…

5/11/10

OK..so I missed a few days…and for good reason as there was nothing really interesting to tell you.

However…today was the start of my Espanol lessons. Surprisingly…at least as far as I was concerned was the fact that even though I was the lone student…my teacher who is a native Cuencano was really good and made the lessons quite enjoyable and stress-free. Her name by the way is (pardon my anglo(ese) Nancy (pronounced…naancee) and thankfully fully bi-lingual.

Anyway we had an hour together...which actually flew by. Now at this point I need to make you aware that…I am “anything” but an “A” student. In fact I could not wait to get out of the school system…a lifetime ago! I do not know if it’s the “need” to know the Spanish language or maybe it’s the maturity thing. Then again it could be a combination. Whatever “It” is…I think it’s working!

My lessons are for “un0 hora” (one hour) per day…and [my choice] of two days per week. Who knows maybe I’ll increase that to three days but as the saying goes…time will tell! By the way…that also depends on if I continue to be the lone student or if I will be joined my another “hombre” who was supposedly waiting for me to start. No one has seen him in the immediate vicinity.

In either case I’m glad I’ve gotten started and…ready for this one…even don’t mind the homework…well so far. ;)

The above by the way…was the high point of my day.

I did do a bit of exploring around town… along with some shopping for a notebook (for school) and finding a farmacia i.e. pharmacy…in which to renew a prescription drug which incidentally...one does not need a prescription for in Ecuador…gotta’ love it!

And with that Me Amigos…the only thing else I did was mucho walking. Incidentally…I’m probably logging about three miles a day just going into "centro" Cuenco. After my class...well basically...did a bit of window shopping etc. and then returning (up the hill) to my apartemento.

The rest of the day was "playing house maid"...LOL!!!

Oh and remember that I was taking my camera with me...well you guessed it...two (2) days in a row I've forgotten it. The camera is now waiting for me along with the rest of my daily items that I take with me...so photos will be appearing shortly :)

Hasta Luego…

No comments:

Post a Comment