Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday in Cuenca


Sunday (Domingo) 15 de Augusto, 2010

Before I start...
REMEMBER IT'S WINTER IN…
"THESE HERE PARTS" OF EL MUNDO (The World)

Being that we just had a hint of sun (first time this week)…
I put on my layers (only 3 today) of clothes...grabbed my
book and headed over to El Parque Calderone for a bit
of sun...fresh air...a bit of reading and also...to be 
around the other denizens of Cuenca.
















Now Sundays in El Parque is always busy catering to
the influx of family's and their various activities,
However...today (maybe 'cause of my late start)...I was
treated to a sight that I personally have never seen.

What did you see...you ask? J
Well I saw first hand...an almost never-ending flood of
Cuencano's who were just exiting one of “The” focal
points of Cuenca.

The focal point in question...the awesome…marble clad…
“El Catedral de la Immaculada Concepcion” otherwise
known in English as…
The Church of the Immaculate Conception.

















The church incidentally is also known as…
The “New Cathedral” in which construction was started
in 1885 (Yes…the “new” one) J.

Now once the streaming multitudes exited…they
headed across el calle (the street) into Parque 
Calderone and…in which I can only describe them 
(the multitudesas…descending like "a flock of 
seagulls"...intent on laying around a beach that was 
covered with scraps of food.

[ How's that for a visual? ]

Anyway...it was nice being ensconced in everyday real
life for a change. I will say this...It was a kick to observe
and also to feel part of (albeit a tiny bit) in what was
going on within the throng of the various families’...
”park day”!

Also among the humanities were of course the "peddlers"...
selling everything from ice-cream cones...chips...
cotton candy (although I have zero idea of what the
Espanol name is)...street shows...children-sized [almost]
real life-like pony's (for photos) and for some reason....
lots and lots of cars around El Parque. These by the 
way…were being “herded” by police and their whistles 
in an attempt to "keep 'em moving". 

All-In-All...a circus atmosphere and in one where
everyone is enjoying themselves! J J

I have one other observation...the little kids are so very…
very cute...and well behaved! What a “pleasure” to be
able to be in the midst of all these simple pleasures.

So now back in El Apartemente...it is now around 2 p.m.
and my AccuWeather.com "thigamajig" tells me...it's all
of 54F and partly sunny (which of course it isn't...can
you say C-L-O-U-D-Y) ?   

Anyway this “so far”…
has been my mostly outdoorsy day. 

Now…Manana (Monday...i.e. Lunes)...
I have a "Bring a Dish of Something or Some Sort of 
Drink" get-together at Carolinas' Bookshop. So...
I'm "yes"... looking forward to that and seeing and 
carousing (hmmmm)...with a bunch of Expats and 
actually…not being home in my apartemeno in the 
early evening. 

The gathering/party itself is from 6-8pm and…along 
with the various “hand-delivered” food and drink…
should be “fun” J

The following day…which…if you’ve been “paying 
attention”…is Tuesday (Martes)...whiich means it's 
back into the mini-van at 7a.m. and off to Guayaquil 
to get my Cedula ...  

***Ha-la-looo-ya***  J  J  J

The rest of the week...wellll...
I guess it's...back to the old retirement grind…
and so…until next time…

Ciao mi amigos y amigas…

Sonria y el mundo sonria detras en usted
(Smile and the world smiles back at you) J J J


1 comment:

  1. Hi Barry,

    I ran across your blog through Ecuador Expats. Must say I truly enjoy it. I am also an American, New Yorker to be exact who moved here 2 months ago with my Ecuadorian hubby. I have heard alot about the gatherings at Zoe's and Cuenca expats. Oh by the way Cotton Candy in spanish is Algodon which translates to cotton they leave the candy out. Anyway I have a facebook page and would love to hear more from you You can add me at marjorie bracamonte banegas.

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete