Thursday, September 30, 2010



Friday, September 17, 2010

The latest “update” re: my "wheel-less" situation!

If anything…things have degenerated into…me not
[yet another day] doing much of anything unless it 
involves“foot-power”. All…however is not lost as Jill will 
be free from her professional environment and will be 
home Saturday afternoon and through Sunday.

So for now...the plan is to go to various places! What 
my daughter has in mind is something that I am 
presently unaware of. Whatever it may be…at least I’ll 
be spending some actual time with her and my grand-
children…not to mention going…well…someplace J.

I will keep you all advised as to what this place…places…
what-ever may prove to be…when I find out! So…as it
now stands…I will be hiking it once again today. The
difference…is this time I have the breakfast ingredients
in the house…where I can prepare it myself and then
where-in a duplication of my previous walk is highly 
“likely”!

The only planned difference will be that I will be doing 
some shopping for some “really important” stuff that I 
need JJWho knows I may even end up with “zilch”.

Basically I’m looking for items that…well that I feel safer 
buying here in the states versus buying in Ecuador. 
Most things like clothes et al…will be acquired once I’m 
at my brother and sister-in-law (Allen and Linda) in 
upstate New York (more on this at an obvious later date).

FYI…the reason that I shy away from buying most items
in Cuenca (or for that matter…anywhere in S. America)…
Is quite simple. Even if the item may actually cost less 
and may even have the same quality (or better)…the 
chance of me being over-charged is quite high. 
Why(?)…it’s really simple…I am unequivocally...a Gringo…
specifically a non-Spanish Speaking Gringo. On top 
of that…bargaining is an “art-form”…one which by the 
way…yours truly is wholly inept!

A few moments ago…I mentioned I might end up with 
"zilch" during my walking shopping spree. To tell you 
the truth…I am shocked at how truly insightful I am 
sometimes. J 
Yep…you guessed it. I bought na-da…zilch…nothin'!

It wasn’t that I didn’t try. Topping my list was a average
priced digital camera. You know…one of the really slim
light ones that are endowed with numerous bells and
whistles. I actually found one in my cost range (the 
lower-mid-range)…however the “selected sample" 
model on “display” was [hellooo] “powerless” 
(i.e.–no batteries). What a way to run a business…
”GO TARGET”…yikes!!!!

As for the rest of my list…yeah you can see the writing
on the wall can’t ‘ye?

Basically I took a long walk...with an air-conditioned
diversion through a large store and ended up killing time.
This by the way…all is good ‘cause I was able to get cool
(this is Florida you know) and get in a few more miles of
exercise walking J

I just had to "add" this little gem…and yes it’s about...
food J

Lunchtime (at Jill's place) and what to eat…ta-dah J

Salami & Cheese on Stone-ground bread with mustard
along with Sour-cream and Green Onion Chips and…
YES!!...Garlic Pickles and Mountain Dew…HEAVEN J

HAPPY...HAPPY J  J 

More later if anything happens today. If not …then no 
more until manana…

Saturday, September 19, 2010

By the way…before I forget…I’ve simply forgotten about
the heat in South Florida. It’s somewhat humid (not
claustrophobic) but definitely hot as in hovering around
90F.

Remember…I’ve gotten somewhat used to my temps
in Ecuador which hovers between 50 and 75F degrees.

Today was no exception (it’s now late afternoon)
and currently 87F. One could probably say (with
confidence) that it feels hotter than it truly is… as the 
sun is very strong!

Besides the above…there’s nothing much to report…
with the exception of my ongoing search for a slim 
pocket camera. FYI…on purpose I left my good and 
trusty Nikon home in Ecuador mainly because of its 
bulkiness…figuring I’d pick one up in S. Florida. The 
problem turns out…not of finding one that I am 
comfortable with…but finding one that is not…purple… 
red… turquoise or any other weird color...which seems 
to be all that is available (you'd think they'd realize that 
nobody wants these beauty's).

What I’m looking for is something compact...”not” 
crazily priced…good quality with a healthy amount of 
enhancements and preferably brushed (or not) silver 
or something similar…like black! Now I ask you…
is that being too demanding?

Anyway…sadly my search was once again one of 
the “fruitless kind”! Guess I’ll just need to keep on 
searching L

Tonight the plan is for my daughter Jill and I to escape 
the kiddies (having Cayla [the oldest] baby-sit) for an 
hour or so…while we visit Bahama Breeze (mentioned 
earlier) for a light snack and “ahhhh”…relaxing tall and 
cool and…one more time…relaxing drinks…and with 
no pre-teens whining! J

That’s about all for now…
so until the next “news update”…ciao ciao J

Tuesday, September 21 thru 
Friday September 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC

Spent a couple few days with my very close friend 
Millicent and her husband Allen in Apex, N.C…which 
is a stones, throw from Raleigh/Durham. Besides 
catching up on times past and the fairly recent…I had 
the pleasure of Millicent & Allen’s company or should I 
say that they made my brief stay with them very easy 
and pleasurable.

Of course…as by now many of you have realized…
I enjoy different and interesting restaurants. This visit 
was no exception. Without my usual “foodie” revue…
I will say that all of the visited restaurants “passed” with 
flying colors and all gave me an excuse to “take-home” 
the spoils of my meal(s)…of which I enjoyed for the 
next days breakfast. Incidentally...this breakfast thing 
stems back to my former life in Thailand...where the 
main meal is breakfast (i.e. Dinnerand has proven to 
be a very good thing…health-wise!

The only thing that I can comment on that was not 
exceptional was the weather. While it was extremely 
sunny for my time in the Apex (Raleigh)…unfortunately 
it was in the midst of a mini “heat-wave”. Remember 
this is the end of September and the beginning of the 
Fall season and…the temperatures(s) are mid 90’s 
as in 95F/96F…OUCH!

Anyway…after my relaxing time with Mill and Allen...
it’s now time for the next leg of my U.S.A trip.

If your looking for me…I am now sitting in the 
Raleigh/Durham Int’l Airport awaiting my flight. This by 
the way isn’t for another hour and a half…so I’m not 
exactly partying away the time J. Fortunately…RDU 
(the airport) is a very nice…clean…and comfortable 
airport.

So mi amigos y amigas…I shall once again bring you 
up to date of my roamings…sometime in the very 
near future.

Chao (correct spelling in Ecuador) for now J

Friday, September 24 thru
Sunday September 26, 2010
Howard Beach, NY

After a comfortable and quick flight from Raleigh I 
landed at JFK to thankfully cooler weather. Once I 
gratefully claimed my lone piece of luggage I made 
contact with a local private car service (about half the 
cost of a taxi) and was whisked to my daughter Lori’s 
place all-told...in about a half hour.

My visit with daughter Lori, husband Mike and grand-
kids Victoria and Justin was short…but proved to be 
an easy time including all the normal everyday stuff 
one would expect. Just for a quick first day outing...
Lori suggested we take the kids (and me) for some 
really great Ice Cream (2 x’s in 2 daysand that should 
give you a hint! The following day (Saturdaythe whole 
family (and me again) went to Justin’s Soccer practice 
and enjoyed spring like weather while the kids knocked 
themselves out J. Following this activity we all got 
back in the car (actually a really plush van) and off we 
went to play miniature golf. The difference with this 
course is that it was 18 holes instead of the usual 9.
I did pretty well at the game...but nothing to jump 
up 'n down about :)  Then…as I hinted at before 
(ahhh anticipation) it was time for another...
“Ice Cream” visit….yeah!!!! J

I didn’t really accomplish anything with my visiting 
Lori other than the important stuff like reconnecting 
with my grand-kiddies along with Lori & Mike…so it 
was a nice break from what...tends to become 
hectic vacationing.

A short sweet trip indeed but one with good memories J

Late this morning…it was time to hit the road again. 
This time Lori took me to the Short-line Bus departure 
point sans the rest of the family…like to a 7-11 shop in 
Queens. Then a quick 3 hour trip…to upstate NY and 
Allen & Linda… as in brother and sister-in-law. This will 
commence my weeklong visit with them and a part-time 
visit with my nephew Scott…starting mid-week.

So as my day draws to a close I look forward to an 
enjoyable week in the mountains of upstate NY where 
by-the-way…the Fall Foliage is just starting to make 
it’s annual appearance. If I’m lucky maybe I’ll get a few 
photos of the seasonal changes and…maybe I’ll even 
share them with you J

Later the same day (as in Sunday)…

The bus trip was indeed a “trip”.
When I boarded the bus in Queens N.Y. ...destination...
upstate N.Y. specifically Monticello…I was pleasantly 
surprised to find about three people on board. I took the 
fist "two" seats…as I decided that I didn’t need a seat 
partner…and prepared for a relaxing quick trip through 
the mountainous regions of upstate New York.

Off we went winding through the streets of Queens and 
then to the hinterlands of the northern tiers of New York 
City and beyond. Unbeknownst to me…my comfortable 
reverie was about to change as we started making 
“scheduled” stops to pick up more travelers.

It turns out that we made probably a half dozen or so 
stops while filling the bus almost to the full mark. Luckily 
I maintained my "double-front seat" un-accosted by the 
general populace. Yes…yes…I know I was selfish…
but I didn’t care. All I wanted was for the bus trip to be 
completed [in comfort] as soon as possible.

Well…the much awaited time finally arrived as we 
pulled into the terminal where I eventually found my 
onward ride to my bro ‘n sis-in-law’s place.  This ride 
came in the form of my Mom and her husband Morty. 
So after some hugs and some quick talk we where off to 
Allen & Linda place in picturesque...Swan Lake, N.Y.

Surprise surprise as there was a...family and friends
gathering at their house which apparently had grown
beyond anyone’s expectations. This and a very
welcoming B-B-Q helped ease my arrival as I gladly
took-over the duties of lending my manny years of 
B-B-Q experience...
by flipping the chicken and hot dogs.

Monday, September 27, 2010

My first full day in the mountains of New York was a day
filled with grey skies and a hell of a lot of rain and...of
course the good company of Allen and Linda (my afore-
mentioned brother and sister-in-law). In a way the 
“staying” indoors was a good thing as it gave us all a 
chance to play “catch-up” awhile. What we were doing 
actually was awaiting the arrival of my cousin Steve and 
wife Sue too my Bro an Sis-in-laws upstate abode.

I really cannot thank Steve and Sue enough for visiting
as they are not exactly around the corner. Their 
“corner of the world” incidentally is somewhere in 
E. Northport N.Y. ...which for all who are unfamiliar with 
the greater New York area…on a good day this little trip 
can take about a 3 hours to where I am at the present 
time. Unfortunately… their trip was not on a good day. 
As I mentioned previously it’s…R-A-I-N-I-N-G [and not 
lightly]. Anyway the wet trip took Steve and Sue just 
about 4 hours.

It should be noted that although the Internet has brought 
us together via Facebook…we haven’t seen each 
other…well I’ve lost track of really how long that time 
frame has become.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Well after a “full” day of shopping…I know now…what…
“shop ‘till you drop” actually means and more importantly…
feels like!

Good God!!! 
I truly do not see nor understand…why... many women 
are sooo drawn to this act of decadence.

I did however succeed in getting most of the items that 
I had decided were important to obtain while in the states. 
It’s not because one cannot buy these items in EC but…
because of the ridiculous high costs of the same items in…
well S. America in general.

As you might imagine…after all this shopping...ones 
body needs to refuel. I can now tell you that…along with 
this urge being addressed it also took care of…a very 
long standing wanting of Chinese Food. One needs to 
understand that as near as I can recall…it has probably 
been a good 13 or 14 years since I’ve tasted NY-style 
Chinese type of food.

So...I am now fully satiated in the wanted food areas 
involving New York style Chinese Food. However…the 
restaurant wasn’t!  What????

Actually…Allen & Linda have discovered this little place 
and have been eating (notice I didn’t say dining) there 
quite regularly. OK…I’ll spill the beans J.

Believe it or not…I’m talking about a Chinese Take-out 
place which has about a dozen mundane tables and 
chairs. The food and friendliness of the owners is 
delicious and very neighborly (in that order). Mmmmmm…
I can still taste the food J
and it’s hours later J

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A day in the wilds of the Catskills!

Yes…your eyes are not 
playing tricks on you. 
I confess…that’s me (the 
kid from Brooklyn) in my 
“apple pickin’ gear’.

Incidentally the long “high-
tech plunger” lookin’ thingee 
is how you get the “really” 
high apples to detach them-
selves from their twigs… 
branches…what-ever and 
then…[hopefully] fall into the 
bucket (that’s the red 
thinkgee part) and “not”…fall 
onto the ground. This by the 
way is generally what happened to the…ahem…so called 
picked apples L

After about 2 fun-filled hours we were again off to 
parts unknown (at least to me).

The next stop was the town of New Paltz, NY which 
I confess…I didn’t know was a college town. Not 
only is it a college town but…the SUNY New Paltz 
University is geared to the “arts”. With this information…
and if you closed your eyes…you might imagine the 
dress and demeanor of some of the art students. 
To call some of the outfits “off the wall” would be an 
understatement…to say the least.

Do to the mix of college students and the historic nature 
of the city and it’s two plus century homes…along with 
beautiful weather…well it was a really nice…relaxing 
and enjoyable experience…even with the “grueling” 
and forced walking J J [joking]J J

Like all of my roamings..we took a much needed break 
to ingest some food-stuffs. The mentioned food-stuffs 
came in the form of Pizza…the likes that which…
would rival any N.Y.C. pizza joint and might…just might 
even beat some of the NY City places at their own game. 
This by the way comes from the “mouth of babes”...as  
(if you weren't already aware) yours truly...was born 
and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. and I know my Pizza. 
So there!! J

After that really good pizza break it was once again 
time to continue our fun time odyssey!

From the city of New Paltz proper…and being that we 
were close…we arrived at a place high in the 
mountains…which turned out to be a spa aptly named 
Mohonk Mountain House.



The spa is located 
near the actual city 
of New Paltz, NY. 
and is surrounded 
by what one can 
only call deep 
forests. By the way…
I used the term “aptly”
do to the fact that this 
entire region…many 
moons ago…was inhabited by what were commonly known 
as “redskins”or “Injuns” by the then new-comers… 
the “white-man”!

Anyway (forgive the little history lesson) we then 
surreptitiously roamed the scenically wooded play-ground 
of the “well-heeled” clientele...that regularly visit Mohonk 
Spa (as it is commonly called). This incidentally…is enjoyed 
by what ”few” average people have experienced or for that 
matter...are even aware of.


of all the “walking” 
we were doing (after 
all I am on vacation). 
That walking “part” of 
the grounds and 
breathing the fresh…
crisp…cool scented 
air was extremely 
invigorating and 
calming at the same 
time.



I now understand why this Spa… which has been in 
business for the past One-Hundred and Forty 
[yes…140] years…is a well-reserved focal point for the 
mid to upper crust.

From there it was back on the road and back to Allen 
and Linda retreat in the mountains…which they call home.

Tomorrow…
the “all-knowing-all seeing” weatherman (hmmm) is 
calling for heavy rains…all day! Time (as always) will 
tell and I will be sure to keep you all informed…as I know…
you are all awaiting this news with baited breath. J

Adios for now…


Note: 
You'll probably notice that some of the type
alignment is "out-of-whack". This is do to the fact that
well...I've thrown-up my hands in trying to outwit the
program (yeah...like that's possible). Hopefully...
this won't affect your enjoyment.


More to come in the very near future!



No comments:

Post a Comment