Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Trip to the U.S. of A.


   
In starting my U.S.A. trip…
I left Cuenca for Guayaquil Airport a bit before 5 p.m. 
for a 7 pm flight. So…after a fairly decent longish waiting 
period…it was time to board my flight which was to take 
an astonishing amount of time…like all of about 40 
minutes. After landing in Guayaquil…I got my bag in 
about 10 minutes and proceeded to wait.

My flight on Avianca to Ft Lauderdale via Bogota is at 
6:10 am manana. The airline counter opens at 3 a.m.
so yes…I have a bit of a wait.

It’s now about 9:15 pm and there are…a fairly decent 
amount of people just hanging around. Included in this 
group are a few little kids that are being their 
rambunctious selves…hopefully they will board soon…
even so I still…after 4 months in Ecuador can’t get over 
the good behavior of these “little” kids (probably around 
age 8-10).

Now…for the food and beverage report.
Remember…I’m in an Airport!

I actually did not intend to “snack” as much as I did. 
However…the coffee shop (as is the entire airport) is 
modern…clean and people friendly. Back to the “snack”! 
A large…fresh ground coffee…a large Empanada 
(always good but surprisingly good for an airport)…
a bottle of water and a large cookie to top it all off.
Cuanta Costa (how much)?  Keeping in mind I’m in an 
Airport…8 bucks.

I’m guessing here but I have a feeling that just the large 
coffee (with nowhere near the same “fresh roasted” 
qualityand large cookie…would probably set me back 
the same in total or morein the confines of JFK or for 
that matter…just about any airport in the U.S.

So…now I sit and wait for the next five (5) and half hours 
until the Avianca desk opens for business. BTW…this 
is why I ordered a large coffee…as in to keep me awake 
the whole night…YIKES!!!

That’s about it for now. What am I going to do for the 
next five plus hours? Well…I intend to read my book(s) 
[bought a new one just for this trip]…walk around and 
maybe doze off a bit. To be sure I will keep you in the 
loop! J

OK…leg #2 of my trip to the U.S. is done as I am now 
sitting in the departure terminal in Bogota, Columbia.

Comparison note re: security…

Guayquil was an absolute breeze. Yes they X-rayed 
etc. but nothing over the top. I did however...become 
separated on a "permanent basis" of a small finger- 
nail scissor…which I guess their security deemed 
excessive …ARRRRG!!!!

The BIGGY was in leaving “emigration” (correct S.A. 
spellingas that took some time. They were very thorough 
via their computer and document checking. I don’t know…
maybe the security guy got confused what with my U.S. 
passport and my Ecuadorian Cedula and Censo 
(it turned out that they wanted the Censo which for some 
reason they deemed more “importante)!

Bogota was a whole ‘nother story as I ended up going 
through Full Security…3 separate times. Thankfully I 
wasn’t carrying anything dangerous such as food 
‘cause the security-dogs would have surely found 
that stash J.

Anyway…I’m now sitting (again) and awaiting the 
boarding of my Ft. Lauderdale leg of my trip. BTW…No 
I did not sleep at all since I left Cuanca. I was up from 
7 a.m. Monday thru…well it’s now Tuesday and almost 
9 a.m. I did however sleep a bit (not much) on the flight 
from Cuenca to Bogota!


Looking back…my Bogota to Ft Lauderdale flight was 
very nice. I also had an amicable woman sitting next to 
me who was from Bogota but now lives in W. Palm 
Beach Fl. Anyway having Nancy (her name) as an 
in-flight neighbor helped the 3+ hours flying time move 
quickly. This acquaintancee…also helped me after we 
were done with the [ever popular] act of clearing Customs 
and getting out of the International Arrivals area of the 
airport.

Now you may be wondering…”what’s he talking about”! 

Well…as it turned out S. Florida welcomed our plane 
(and many others) with a real honest to goodness 
healthy rainfall. Of course there was no way to tell 
this was going on until we were all done with customs…
baggage claim…etc and were out amongst the masses 
trying to meet they’re friends/family (whomever) who 
were trying to pick them in the International Arrivals area.

You see…my friend Donna had the “honor“ J of picking 
me up. Of course this being S. Florida…a place mind 
you that…when it rains…no matter how inconsequential 
or severe…general driving...along with its speeds 
“go right down the tubes”!

Anyway…and keeping in mind that the one cell phone 
I have...that will work in the states…didn’t! 
Ye gotta love it!

All of this was do to the fact..the phone is the “pre-paid” 
type which unfortunately did not have any “time” 
remaining. Fortunately however…my “plane” friend 
was also waiting for her husband who thankfully had  
a his phone with him and thusly I was able to finally get 
in touch with Donna who…surprise surprise…was 
slowed by the “rain caused” traffic. To make a long(ish) 
story shorter…Donna (like the vision she is) appeared 
at the airport pick-up point and off we went...
to places unknown J.

Places unknown…along with not eating anything 
normal in the last 20 or so hours…led us to a 
watering-hole…as in someplace where yours truly 
could absorb food and atmosphere unknown in 
Cuenca. Place “in-point” (this time) turned out to 
be Two-Jays Delicatessen.

Now before I go on…it should be said that one of 
my goals on trips to the U.S. …is to eat in places 
and eat foods…that cannot be gotten in Ecuador 
or at the very least…known dishes that are 
unfortunately… not prepared as they should be 
(well not as I remember them anyway).

Back to my event recounting…

Funny but the foods remembered and now consumed…
for some reason are not those that are expected.
The Combo Corned-beef and Pastrami on Club was 
OK…but as Two Jays…no longer offered a Club 
(Hoagie for those of you not from the East coast
Sandwich anymore…well it was just not the same! 
With the “unClub” came French Fries and I ordered 
a Dr. Browns’ Cream Soda. Now...this unfortunately 
arrived in its metal container (can)…instead of the 
“bottle” it should have came in! 
So once again…not the same nor as goodL.

Anyway…after consuming my first meal in the likes of 
S. Florida…we continued our trip to my daughter Jills’ 
place of business. She by-the-way…is in charge of a 
good sized pre-school in Weston. Once there Jill gave 
Donna (they had never met until this point) the Grand 
Tour of the facility…and Donna left to get on with her 
daily life (more on Donna later in my daily musings).

It was then time to finally get to Jill’s apartment…
decompress a bit…spend some time with my grandkids…
and finally to some REAL and needed sleep.

So until manana J

Wednesday, 15 September

Woke up at an “unheard of” hour (for me anyway)…
10:30 a.m. This by the way only happened because 
Donna called and became my alarm clock this morning.

Now I know what “roughing it” means J


I had a “scrumptious“ breakfast of a much needed mug 
of coffee and something just a wee-bit different…
((what pray-tell is he talking about now))…a “left-over 
piece of pizza” and for desert (the best part)…
a Krispy Cream Iced Donut…WOW!

So…once again I await the arrival of Donna whom 
is really helping me out…in just getting around and 
doing stuff. I want the world to know this…as it is 
taking Donna probably 45-60 minutes (una via)
[1-way]) to get to me and then what-ever…so I 
REALLY appreciate what she’s doing. That said 
Donna and I never connected on my last trip to 
S. Fl so I guess we are both making up for that too!

Anyway I will report on the days’ events…yet to come 
later today or manana J

OK…I’m back…its still Wednesday but late. Anyway…
Donna and I did a little catching up and eventually 
got out to do a bit of exploring as neither of us new 
the area. Eventually…we (actually me) decided it 
was time to stifle the “beast in the belly”…so off we 
went and luckily found a place called Bahama Breeze.

As you might be able to guess from the name…
the restaurant offered a variety of dishes but…
with a decidedly different and wonderful twist to their 
“foods with a flair”. Can you tell I was impressed? J.
The only down side was the prices…which to 
someone like myself i.e. Expat…were quite high 
when compared to what I am now used to in Ecuador. 
Yes…yes…I know I’m not in Ecuador but “back in the 
U.S.A.”. That however doesn’t mean I can’t complain. 
After all this is my Blog! J

It was now getting a wee bit late…as Donna had to get 
back to her life. So we made just one more stop at 
Walgreens to pick up a few items etc. Upon entering 
the store…I literally forgot the amount of items 
one store can carry. It almost blew my mind! Yes…
Cuenca has large stores that carry similar items as 
Walgreens…CVS… Walmart etc…but nothing on 
this shear scale of sellable goods.

At this point we needed to make haste…so Donna 
dropped me back at Jill’s abode and off she went.

Tomorrow…I had planned to do a bit of reminiscent 
exploring of the old neighborhood after shopping for 
my Western Boots (this has been a long planned item
and then a quick meeting with my cousin Bonnie at 
her Mom’s place in Lauderdale Lakes. That’s when 
the BRAKES were applied as Jill told me she needed 
her car for work etc. So…all plans now need to be 
changed…cancelled or I’ll see what happens.

Anyway…this leaves me with a chance to do a little 
morning walk on the way for some breakfast and also 
explore the immediate area. After this it’s back to the 
Jill’s apartment complex…access the Internet via free 
wi-fi at the Sales Office/Pool area and yep…as you 
might have guessed…after my internet session…
make use of the pool…YES! J

And now mi amigos…it’s time to make a few calls…
chill…and do a bit of reading and then off to dreamland J

Thursday, 16 September

“FOOTLOOSE”…which is how I’m describing my current 
situation as in “not” having any wheels.

This wouldn’t have been a problem in that I would have 
been using my daughter Jill’s car for the day. However 
her work plans changed thus so did mine. In a way this 
was good as this a.m. I needed to acquire some 
breakfast. So…off I went (on foot) once again in search 
of food.

I had two choices…go “this way” or “that way”.
I chose “this way” which was the closest but unfortunately 
yielded absolutely nothing. That left “that way”…as in the 
only other choice in which I actually found my target…
which in this case was a Bagel Store.

Now for those of you that have never had the opportunity 
to indulge oneself at an East coast Bagel establishment…
they offer quite a wide variety of foods from breakfasts 
and lunch. FYI…most of these shops are closed mid 
to late afternoon!

I must say this however…I have been in the states for 
3 days now…have eaten in a few restaurants and 
noticed a higher dining cost than what I’ve become 
accustomed too…since living “outside” the U.S. This 
said…this mornings breakfast was “an extremely rude 
awakening” for me…one in which the only way I can 
truly express myself is to say that I’m suffering 
“Sticker Shock”!

To give you an idea…Coffee…a plate of two eggs...
home fries...corned-beef hash and a bagel. Cost…
incl. tax and tip…$11.00… OUCH! God forbid if I 
added juice (I shudder to just think of that)!
I will say this though…as definitely enjoyed the 
“consumption” part of my breakfast ordeal J

Now to give those of you who are Expats a better 
feel for the cost difference…the above cost 
represents minimally…2 times the higher priced 
breakfast (in Cuenca) or up to 5 (yes you read right…
FIVEtimes the cost of an average breakfast 
(again Cuenca). Incidentally…for those of you who 
are not aware of Cuenca’s cost of living rating…
Cuenca is situated as part of the “upper” 
cost of living structure!

OK...enough of economics and back to S. Florida…

Being that I’m wheel-less…I’m off to the pool area to 
make use of the complexes free wi-fi…catch up on 
e-mail etc…then maybe a bit of experiencing the 
pool itself and well…just enjoying Florida’s 
warming sun J.""""NOT""" 


Apparently...Mr. Sun decided to take a short vacation 
and invited his relatives (The Clouds) to take it's place.
(It's amazing how plans even simple ones...change).


So...I did a bit more walking to get some snacks 
(this time I took the shorter walk). I'm figuring that I 
probably walked a good six (6) miles today. 
BTW...I'm not complaining...just stating a fact!


So until mananas adventures…ciao for now J






No comments:

Post a Comment