Wednesday, November 3, 2010

HOLIDAYS & MOVING DAYS

Viernes (Friday) 29 Octubre 2010

I’m actually starting this BLOG today…Friday (Viernes)…
but the preparations etc. have already begun. What I’m 
referring to is the fast approaching Cuenca Independence 
Day or as it’s called here… Indepencia de Cuenca.


The date for this impending 
holiday…is actuality taking 
place this coming Wednesday 
(Miercoles)…3 Noviembre. 
However this being Ecuador…
this holiday is actually preceded 
by another holiday…one in 
which is the previous day and 
falling on Tuesday (Martes)…
2 Noviembre. This holiday by 
the way…has the distinctive 
designation of being called 
Dia de los Muertos or...Day of 
the Dead.




The following is a direct quote…from my friend and writer 
Dixie Davie as it appeared in her newsletter and website…
www.retire-in-ecuador. com.

In the article…Dixie explains Dia de los Muertos as such: 
“celebrated with a belief that it is easy for the dead to come 
back to earth and visit their living relatives on this particular 
day. Altars are erected and piled with food, trinkets, 
wreaths and flowers. Breads, candies and cakes are made in 
the shapes of the bodies or other symbols. Sometimes the 
name of the dead person is inscribed on these edible 
mementos. The typical food for the day is “guaguas de 
*pan”…accompanied by a beverage called “colada morada”.
The foods have a remote origin in the Incas, who offered 
their gods their bodies and blood in sacrificial ceremonies”.

It is currently 2:30 pm and as I sit in my departemento 
(apartment)…I can clearly hear the loud…albeit muffled 
“sound checks”…along with some musica (?) already 
starting…so tonight should be…an experience to say the 
least. What will happen tonight and throughout the next 
five (5) days is …well I haven’t a clue. This…other than 
the fact that there will be “musica”…holiday food and 
partying to all hours…throughout Cuenca can only be put 
into so many words. Even these few words…”still”… 
would not…nor could not…describe what can only be 
experienced and…only by experiencing this town in 
person.

Speaking of tonight or I should say the latter part of this 
afternoon and…in the middle of all the “holiday party 
build-up”…I will be picking up my new departemento 
keys and starting manana Sabado (Saturday)…yours truly 
will “start” my fast approaching move in earnest. 

Luckily…my new departemento is only about 3 blocks 
from my current location.  This incidentally allows me to 
basically move myself via my “rolling” luggage…of which 
I have “dos” (two) and will take place over this [yes…
moving during a holiday] weekend. Thank goodness for 
wheels and elevators.

Best Laid Plans”… Sabado (Saturday)

Well it’s Sabado (Saturday for all you gringos) and [my 
plan] was to meet Martha…my apartment finder…give 
the new place a once over…get the keys and start moving
in whatever I could manage by myself. The rest would 
wait until manana when my friend Gerard…who has 
kindly offered to help with the move…using his new car. 
This way…moving the somewhat larger and heavier items 
[well the few that I have] would hopefully be a breeze.

“This”…mi amigos’...proved to be the outcome…

The reality is that Martha ran into [some] difficulties. An 
hour became two (2) and ended up with a record…
seven(yes…“7”hours delay. 
By this time the start/stop/start/stop and so on…drew to 
a close and…well…all I can say is that these delays took 
their toll. Hence…by the time I finally did my 
“walk-through“ of the new apartment …I had already 
decided to forgo any moving today and just take 
advantage of Gerard’s [moving service] car and...
do it all manana.

So…here I sit with 95% of everything I own “packed 
and ready to go”… and…with “nowhere to go” until 
tomorrow a.m. Anyway manana is another day and…
hopefully one in which I will have accomplished 
the task at hand.

“Moving Day Has Arrived”… Domingo (Sunday)

Finally…all is “almost” done (well 99% anyway) and it 
is now 8;40 a.m. on Domingo (Sunday)…as I wait for 
mi amigo Gerard to arrive with his car to facilitate my 
move. Now… it’s just a little matter of loading the car…
unloading the car…loading the elevator…unloading 
the elevator (I’m sure you get the picture). 

OK…I don’t want you to think for un minuto that…
just because Gerard and his generous assistance got 
me moved that…that was that. It wasn’t…not by a 
long shot…as I still had to return to my now “old” 
departmento (apartment) and re-pack my now 
(once again) empty suitcases…repack the smaller 
“unmoved” items into said suitcases and make a couple 
of trips [on foot] to complete my move.

This done…now came the fun job of putting all my 
worldly belongings in their proper places. I won’t bore 
you with the details other than to say that…finding said 
places in some instances was no easy task. This process 
however did take some time and succeeded in…yes… 
obliterating whatever reserve strength I had left in this...
body of mine!






























Work done…it was thankfully time to…”rest”. Now 
I’m not sure if I ever mentioned this before but…I am 
not the kind of person that can take any type of siesta. 
This however did not deter me in the least from trying… 
albeit as I “did” try but alas…this little venture of a nap 
was unsuccessful…though…I did get to relax.
































So...now with the task of resting done…it was time to get 
ready for my dinner invitation at my friends’ Karen & 
Peters’ place. Keeping in mind that I’ve never been to 
their departemanto…what should have been an easy and 
short cab ride...of course…turned into an “adventurers” 
exercise in futility.

Please understand that in most cases Cuenca cab drivers 
know how to deliver you to where you want to go…but…
every once in awhile (as was the case today) the driver 
just doesn’t know “how” too get to ones desired 
destination. Also…keep in mind that there is a minor 
item to contend with in this situation…was our “inability” 
to connect verbally. Don’t ask me how…but someway…
somehow…apparently the gods were smiling on us…
I finally made it to my destination. 

Upon entering K & P’s departemento…I was 
“somewhat” prepared (do to previous conversations with 
Karen & Petefor the sight that awaited me. To say that 
it was large (by most Ecuadorian standards) would be a 
“gross understatement”. I guess one might call their place 
Ecuadorian modern. Roomy…airy and comfortable would 
be just a few words that come to mind.

The best part of the night (other than their warm and 
receptive companionship) was the sumptuous meal that 
Karen prepared. To try and tell you all about the meal 
would actually detract from the “overall delightful 
epicurean experience”...so I won’t…so there! 
I will however tell you that Karen baked some [huge] 
chicken breasts covered with fresh mushroom sauce and 
was sided with steamed broccoli and homemade rice pilaf. 
All this accompanied by some very good wine and great 
desert (one of which was Karen’s wonderful homemade 
Apple Cobbler along with my offering…as in Strawberry 
Short Cake). What a wonderful way to end a long…
but very satisfying day. 

Ohh…almost forgot…
all the food was organic and need I say…delicioso!

So…that mi amigos y amigas…is where things stand at 
the moment. Manana…this hombre needs to do a 
“major” food shopping en El Supermacado in which...
to replenish El Cocina (kitchen)…wish me luck!
Hasta Pronto...

<<POST-NOTE>>

It’s now Tuesday (Martes) evening (about 9:30 pm) and 
just had too include this tidbit. Actually…this is a 
“kind of” restaurant and “date” review mixed together…
as I had a very enjoyable dinner with a Mujer Norte 
Americano (North American Woman) whom at this point 
I’ll just identify as “R”.

The dinner took place at a restaurant called Tiesto’s 
which…is situated “within” the outer edge of Cuenca 
Centro. Now one needs to understand…I’ve been vying 
to sample Tiesto’s dinner fare since I’ve arrived in this 
beautiful place called Cuenca. The only problem and 
reason why I hadn’t gone until tonight was that… 
Tiesto’s is actually geared to parties of 2 or more. 
Now that’s not to say that “un persona” would not be 
served but…I for one…do not think a solo person would 
enjoy or…for that matter feel the ambience… friendliness 
and warmth that is Tiesto’s.

As for cost…to be fair…Tiesto’s rates “high” in the cost 
category. That said however…compared to a comparable 
restaurant in Any Hometown, U.S.A. and…considering a 
North American restaurant of equal quality that I found in 
Tiesto’s...well there’s “no contest”…Tiesto’s wins hands 
down…both in cost…quality and ambience!
The wonderful part of the Tiesto’s experience is…the 
array of various flavorful spice and flavor mixtures that 
one will find awaiting them on their table. This along 
with some absolutely…wonderful tasty and imaginative 
dishes…well if and when you ever find yourself in Cuenca…
Tiesto’s is a definite…“Do Not Miss” stopover!

On a personal note…my dinner date with “S”…well…
I feel very good about the evening. Now whether “S” 
feels the same…well…like I like to say…time will tell...

Ciao todo (all) for now…




*[translation of ”pan” is bread...so I’m guessing that...
  this holiday item is indeed a type of bread]

1 comment:

  1. Wow, have you been busy! The apartment looks great. Wonderful view too. How did you go from "R" to "S" in one date? You must be working on "T" by now. Appreciated your review on Tiesto's. Keep us informed on the holiday celebrations around your place. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete