Monday, November 29, 2010

Just Everyday Stuff in Ecuador

Note:

OK…you just may have noticed that I’ve arbitrarily 
changed the look (once again) of my Blog. One other 
thing you may (or may not) have noticed is that I’ve 
restructured the the Blog "type lay-out" as…I’ve gotten 
wind of a couple of remarks stating that it was more 
“like a report” vs. a“story”...so I hope this is an easier 
and more enjoyable read. 

Also…I hope you all like…what you see!

=======================================

Etapa just called and informed me in broken English…
that they could not connect my Internet for me and 
[for me] to come and pick-up my deposit. When asked 
why…they could not nor would not…explain. This is 
when I called Jose and I am now going to meet him at 
Etapa and try to get to the bottom of this!

Well the result of my (too late for Etapa) meeting with 
Jose re: this debacle was this…Being that he [Jose] will 
be out of town…until sometime in the middle of next 
week…I just need to cool my heels a bit longer. This said 
my next step would be getting my refund from Etapa and 
then meeting with an hombre from something called 
“Punta-net”…which according to Jose is “in all likely-
hood” better and less expensive than Etapa…and also 
with better speed.

This mi amigo’s remains to be seen. 

Anyway…realistically I’m probably looking at an 
Internet connection hopefully in the “very” beginning 
of Deciembre (December).

Today [Saturday] is (and I can only call it this) “prep-
day”as in getting ready for manana where everyone in 
Ecuador are “shut-ins”…as this is do to the forthcoming
Census taking exercise! 

Actually…

(Remember EVERYTHING is CLOSED MANANA)…
I’m in pretty good shape as I went food shopping 
yesterday… went to the ATM this morning and just got 
back from the DVD store where I stocked up on three (3) 
movies at a buck apiece. That along with my Kindle and 
some planned cooking…I guessing I’ll make it through 
the next 12 hours A-OK!. Now if I had Internet…
well one can always dream…can’t one?

As for the rest of today…
at 2 p.m. there is a live performance by an American 
guitarist…at Kookaburra Café here in town that many 
expats are supposedly going too. Unfortunately… as it 
turned out…not many people came and they were lucky…
as the performance wasn’t very entertaining.  I did 
however get to meet a couple that are “soon-to-be” 
Expat Cuencano’s. So…the hour wasn’t a complete loss!

Anyway…after the debacle of Kookaburra (and keeping 
in mind the “shut-in” stuff for manana)…I stopped off at 
Raymipampa Restaurant for an early dinner and also took 
half home in a doggy-bag…for tomorrows “adventure” 
in mi apartemente! 

Well Sunday as in the day of the Census has arrived and 
my day of “State Imposed Shut-in”…has started. I look 
at this semi-imprisonment as a way to do some house-
keeping and just chillin’. Realistically…that’s all anyone 
can do. BTW…whether the Census taker comes early…
late…or not at all…is of no consequence…as the official 
ruling stands firm…i.e. one cannot leave their homes 
until 5 or 5:30 p.m. (nobody seems exactly sure as to...
the end time).

Before I forget…and this has nothing what-so-ever to 
do with all this official stuff…I feel I must answer my 
friend Don’s e-mail.

Note:
Under normal circumstance I would never address a 
personal e-mail in this Blog. However…the content 
may be of interest to others also. This is do to the fact 
that…I feel this response should be “timely” and also 
that (as you \now know) my wi-fi connection is hit ‘n 
miss! But first I need to back up a bit.

After…getting up early[ish] this Sunday morning…as 
usual I went to check my Internet (i.e. E-mail). Well I 
almost could not believe what I was seeing. This was…I 
not only had some mail (which is nothing unusual) but…
that I had [working] Internet (wi-fi)…which (not only 
active) was a lot stronger than normal).

Anyway…getting back to Don.
Don had commented in his last e-mail to me…about my 
latest Blog and how he couldn’t understand how…
accomplish this [blog] with so very infrequent Internet 
connections. Well Don (and anyone else who might be 
wondering)…it’s really quite simple. You see…all my 
“raw” Blogging is done off-line in “Microsoft Word”
Once complete and corrections made…I then “cut & paste” 
the “almost” finished Blog to my Blog website.

You’ll notice that I mentioned “almost” a moment ago. 
The reason for this…is simple. Even though I proofread 
the content…I still have to re-align my “new” Blog entry 
to fit the base parameters and…also too make some “last 
minute” corrections during my final read.

So…as you can see…not so simple after all. 

Anyway…Don…
I hope that this answered your question!

Getting back to the Census...

They (the Census takers) were in-fact a…No Show. This 
at least (as far as I was concerned) was what I experienced. 
As for anyone else that I spoke to…they all had a Census 
taker at their door.

Do I care? Not really and this "not showing" of course does 
“not” surprise me in the least!

So…that’s it for now mi aqmigos y amigas. 

Once again I hope you like the new look and the new blog 
commentary structure :)

Ciao for Now 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Definitely like the new look. It's snazzy and really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut and paste all my blog entries. Need that spell and grammer check, and occasionaly some inspiration from the thesauris.

    ReplyDelete