Saturday, July 17, 2010

Unplanned Rant



By The Way Hope You Like the New Look :)

Sabado (Saturday), 17 de Julio de 2010

First off…you should be aware of the fact that…I was not 
planning on writing today.

That said…Well I might as well start from the beginning…
even if it was a false start.

Now in order report this story accurately…I need to back 
up a few days…actually at the very last a couple-few 
weeks ago. At that time my then “new” neighbor” Patricia 
told me albeit after she found I was originally from 
New York…that a woman who was not back from her 
current out-of-town trip was also from New York.  
OK great…and with this handy information I went on with 
my daily exciting life. J

Well…after a few days I finally got to meet my fellow 
New Yorker who goes by the name of Karla. She’s just a 
bit older than me. Exactly how much…I’m shrugging my 
shoulders as I guess maybe one (1)…to a couple of years. 
Incidentally…more on the Karla’s’ story later on.

Anyway during a quick first visit…she told me about the 
local marketplace a few blocks from my current 
apartemento…we made up to meet early this morning. 
Now early is OK but...this was pushing it somewhat.

She wanted to “LEAVE” AT 6:45…Yes…as in A.M.!!

Now…with this in mind yours truly decided that since 
I’m going to get up early...I would go to sleep early. 
So… Barry J (that’s meshut the TV at 10 pm and 
went "beddy-bye".

All well and good…right?    Wrong!

This unfortunately (and one would think I’d learn by now
as in the past and knowing I needed to wake-up early…
and with no alarm clock (didn’t think of the cell phone 
alarm) my inner-body alarm went off at three…yes…
as in 3 a.m.!!!

Now this has happened to me before…mainly because 
not getting up on time (perish the thought) decidedly 
plays on ones (especially mine) mind as it did once 
again today!

Anyway at 6:15 I started getting ready for my meet-up 
with Karla at 6:45a.m. You can guess at this point that 
good ‘ol Karla was a “No Show”. 

So…now it’s all of “6:55”F***ng A.M.” and although I 
tried I could not get back to slumber land L
Oh…what to do…what to do????

To get to the end of this disaster of a “no-go-anywhere” 
morning (can you tell I’m still a wee bit upset)… 
I made myself an early breakfast and went out into the 
cold air [45 F degrees] and did some pointless window 
shopping. This just to kill some time!

By the way…
I’m getting good at this window shopping stuff!

Now this is where I get to the actual reason for doing “any”
writing today!

After my roaming the early-hour Calles (streets) of Cuenca 
Centro and it’s store windows…I decided to people watch 
once again within the environs of El Parque Calderone. 
I have to say…even with the somewhat chilled air…
it was and still is a beautiful day.

OK…this is where I finally divulge the whole reason for 
starting my unplanned rant today.

I know…I know…you’re sitting on pins ‘n needles J

As I was sitting there on the park bench and minding my 
own business…I spied my unexpected quarry. Now to be 
fair I have no idea if the gentleman (hmmmm) in question 
is a U.S., Canadian, European or from the...
“land down-under” citizen. He was however...Caucasian 
and ”Extremely Noticeable”.

Now…please…keeping mind it’s f***kin’ 45F degrees…
OK…by now “m-a-y-b-e” 50F degrees. 
He’s tall (especially by Ecuadorian standards) ..maybe a 
little over 6 feet and he is apparently traveling solo. But… 
what caught my eye (remember the temperature) and
probably everyone else’s eye…was the fact that his 
“complete” outfit including “carried” objects consisted of 
the following:

“One” White T-shirt…
”One” pair of Cargo Shorts…
”One” pair of  (I swear to God)…“Flip-Flops”...
”One” guide book…
”One” bottle of water
“One” camera and a…
Partridge in a Pear Tree (Sorry but I couldn’t help myself)

AND YES…IT’S “”MAYBE”” 50 DEGRESS...YIKES!!!

This…is what gives people “pause” when they think of 
foreigners and also why we are looked at as...a “thing” 
of curiosity!

What’s sad is that in most likely-hood he is from the U.S. 
and that this (his obvious lack of normal attire) is what 
people will remember!

It should be noted at this point that…it is NOT 
recommended that tourists (or anyone or... for that matter
wear shorts in Ecuador! The Ecuadorians as a whole…
have a definite sense of decorum!!!

I don’t like to get political…but can anyone wonder as to 
“why” the reputation of the U.S. is faltering?

Me thinks’ the “gentleman’s” (and I use the term “very” 
looselylack of ANY sense or sensibility what-so-ever”…
just might...”might”…have something to do with it !!!!!!! 
Ye’ think?

Now I “refuse” to end this BLOG on such a rant. So…
I will continue my diatribe at another time in the 
very near future (after…if I’m lucky…I will try to catch a 
few winks and catch up on my beauty rest) J

Until then…
I will keep smiling and hope you do the same too J  J  

Hi again…

It’s now about 8 p.m. and I'm just back from (of all things) a
Mexican Dinner…which was prepared by the now "almost"
famous  California Kitchen (Cuenca). In keeping with my 
prior promise to you…the dinner proved…as expected…
very good…very filling (I’m still stuffed) and that’s all I’m 
going to say J

Now back to my previous rantings…

“Karla”…the Rest of the Story!

While talking with Karla about NYC etc. It came to light that 
this is indeed a “very small world”.

Not only are we both from New York…but we are both from
Brooklyn. To be more precise…we are both from Canarsie 
and...went to the same Public School [P.S. 115] and…
here’s the kicker…she lived literally two (2) blocks 
from me.

Now before any of you decide to jump to conclusions…

And I Quote!

An unequivocal NO!!  There is…nor will there be anything 
of note regarding any present or future relationship other 
than a possible plutonic one. 

End Quote!!!

And with that my friends…
(Y con eso me amigos y amigas…)

I shall once again…
leave you to your own daily trials and tribulations...
and until next time J  J  J

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment